You may have heard people raving about the effects of onion on hair growth recently – it is being touted as the latest discovery for those on a quest for longer hair. Onion is not new when it comes to aiding in hair growth. Although it may not sound like the most appealing option, people have used it now for decades and it has helped them have longer, stronger hair. In fact, it has helped people who were balding to have a head full of hair once again.
How does it help?
It is always important before you try something to know how it works. There are 3 ways that onions work to help hair to grow and also to prevent hair loss.
- The first is that they contain sulphur, a powerful ingredient that is associated with hair growth. When applied to the scalp, it promotes blood circulation which in turn provides more nourishment to hair follicles, enabling them to row faster.
- A lot of hair loss can be attributed to bacterial infections. Onion has anti-bacterial properties that fight off infection thus preventing hair loss.
- Onion contains a special enzyme called catalase, an antioxidant that prevents premature graying in hair.
You may be wondering if all this has been proven scientifically. As a matter of fact it has. A study in 2002 published in the Journal of Dermatology showed that onion had significant effect in terms of hair growth in people suffering from alopecia. One group of people applied onion juice twice a day and the control group applied only water. After months, the people who were applying onion juice showed hair growth while those who were applying only water didn’t have any.
How do you prepare it?
As you may well imagine, it’s going to take quite a few tears but this remedy is well worth it. Take a few onions, peel and dice into small pieces. Put in a blender or a food processor and run until they are smooth enough to extract juice from. Remove the paste and squeeze the juice into a cup.
If you don’t have a blender or a food processor you can use a grater. Once you have enough juice in the cup apply on the scalp. Be warned, the smell can be quite strong. You should let the juice stay on for at least 15 minutes or longer if you can stand it. Rinse with warm water. Since you don’t want to go around with an onion smell you should follow with your regular shampoo and conditioner. Repeat this as often as you can and you will see a significant improvement in hair growth.
There are other onion juice remedies that you can try that are just as effective but that deliver more ingredients necessary for hair growth. Onion and honey is one of them. Mix a half a cup of onion juice with one tablespoon of honey and apply on the hair and the scalp. Leave on for 30 minutes and then rinse. The honey makes your hair stronger. If you do this daily for two months your hair will be longer and stronger.
Other home remedies for hair growth
Onion is not the only home remedy in your home that you can use for longer, stronger hair. There are others such as:
- Avocado and honey – this is quite a well known recipe and if you do it often, you will see your hair improve a lot. All you need is half an avocado (you can eat the other half, it will nourish your hair from the inside) and a tablespoon or two of honey. Mush the avocado completely, add the honey and stir. Apply the mixture to your hair and scalp. Put on a shower cap and leave it on for 30 minutes. Rinse and the condition as usual. Do this twice or thrice a week and you will see an improvement in your hair.
- Another good home remedy is castor oil. It is rich in Vitamin E and essential fatty acids which are necessary for hair growth. You can get some at your local supermarket. Just apply it directly to your hair and scalp and then leave it on for between 30 and 45 minutes. You can wear a shower cap – the warm environment promotes castor oil’s action. Different essential oils can be added.
- Do not underestimate the power of a good massage when it comes to hair growth. A massage stimulates blood circulation and provides more nutrition to hair follicles allowing them to grow faster. It should be done either with hot oil or a deep moisturizing conditioner. Apply and then massage the scalp in circular motions for about five minutes. Take a break and massage again for five minutes. Shampoo and rinse.
As you can see, it is not only onions that are a good remedy for hair growth. There are several others that you can try.