Moisturizing is an important part of any beauty regimen whether you are a woman or a man – it is the only way you replenish all that your skin has lost during the day. The environment around us is not kind to our faces; the air is loaded with dust and other pollutants and all these end up sitting on your face.
In addition to that, your own body secretes oils through pores all the time. That is why it is very important that you cleanse. Cleansing takes all the dirt away but at the same time, it strips the skin of important nutrients that it needs to stay healthy. Moisturization is necessary to replenish these nutrients.
Unfortunately, not all of us are moisturizing correctly. We start out with the best of intentions of course – to take the best care that we can of our faces but we get things wrong. If you have been doing any of the following, you are not moisturizing correctly:
- You fail to moisturize. This is a common mistake that many people make. They figure that since they have an oily skin they don’t need to moisturize. That is incorrect thinking. The reason why they have an oily face in the first place is because the skin has to secrete more oil to compensate for the fact that you are not feeding it. If you have an oily skin it is very important that you use a light moisturizer. If you have a dry skin choose something more suited to it.
- Wrong technique is the second most common mistake that people make when it comes to moisturization. Many women think that if they vigorously rub moisturizer into their face it will stimulate blood circulation and the moisturizer will get in deeper. This, again, is wrong thinking. You should rub moisturizer slowly and gently in circles all over your face – it will encourage blood circulation and you don’t risk getting fine lines and wrinkles (they can happen when you rub your face hard for many years).
- Many people don’t consider their skin type before they buy moisturizer. This is wrong – different moisturizers are made for different skin types. It is important that you choose the right one so that your skin can reap all the benefits. Be careful about moisturizers that are popular because they are endorsed by celebrities – they may be good for them but not for you. If you don’t know what your skin type is you can visit a dermatologist. There is also a lot of information online about that kind of thing.
- It makes sense to find a good moisturizer and stick to it, right? Wrong as a matter of cat. The best thing to do is change your moisturizer every few years. Think about it, your skin is changing, so you should feed it differently. As you age, it becomes less elastic so you have to find different products for it if you want your face to continue looking good. If you have been using the same moisturizer for several years now it is time you went out and shopped for a new one.
- How often do you exfoliate your face? Exfoliating removes dead skin cells which open up your pores and gives you a smoother look. You should exfoliate with a gentle exfoliator once or twice a week during your routing if you want your moisturizer to work properly – you will always have a glowing look.
- After you apply you moisturizer it is important that you give it time to sink into your skin. Too often, women apply moisturizer then reach right away for the foundation. The result? A dull, pasty look that then requires a lot of makeup to correct. It is important that you let your moisturizer get into your skin before you apply makeup. If you cannot wait then blot it out with a tissue.
- Eye bags are a common problem for many especially in the morning. You don’t want to walk around with them. Usually, it is recommended that you apply eye cream but most women will tell you that they simply don’t work. Some women use moisturizers to deal with eye bags. You shouldn’t do this as they may worsen and you may end up having to apply a lot of makeup. If you get eye bags the best way to treat them is with an ice cube or a freezing spoon.
- If you are not cleansing your skin properly every day you will have a problem because your moisturizer will not work. You should buy a cleansing cream and make sure that your face is clean before you apply moisturizer. As you may well know, you should never sleep with makeup on.
Now that you know how you have been getting moisturization wrong you can start doing the right thing!