Juicing is becoming commonplace – instead of eating their fruit whole, people are choosing to crush it instead and drink the juice extract. One of the biggest debates on this topic is whether you can lose weight by juicing. Some people swear by it while others say that it is unhealthy. So which is it? The truth is that you can lose weight by juicing. How much depends on how long you do it and the kinds of fruits that you are juicing. In fact, you do more than just lose weight – in the process, the juice will eliminate toxins from your body.
Most people who go on a juicing diet report that they see changes in as short a period of 14 days. Many say that they were able to lose between 10 and 20 pounds in that period. In fact, people have been known to cure mild obesity with juicing. You may have heard of Joe Cross who made a documentary film about his weight loss through juicing called Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. He was able to lose a lot of weight and in the process cure himself of debilitating autoimmune disease.
So what happens inside the body once you are on a juicing diet? Assuming that you are eating very little or no protein at all, your body starts to burn off the fat that it has stored. The body is able to break down proteins more easily than it can fat. When you don’t feed it any protein it is forced to go to its stores and burn off whatever is there.
If you are honest to your diet and don’t consume any proteins, you can expect to see a rapid drop in weight. That said, it is not advisable to go on a juice fast. This is when you are consuming nothing but juices. You need to eat some solid food for you to continue to be healthy. When you are juicing, you should still eat your fruits, veggies and nuts. You also need them to feel sated. If you absolutely must go on a juice fast then it is recommended that you do so under a doctor’s supervision.
What should you be juicing?
One of the most common questions asked on the topic of juicing to lose weight is what is most healthy to juice. If you want to see some weight loss, it is better to juice a mix of fruits and vegetables, with preference on the vegetables. Fruits contain a lot of sugar which is a leading cause for fat accumulation. You want to neutralize that sugar by juicing them with vegetables. One great advantage of juicing is how much you can consume. Imagine if you had to eat one or two apples, a few carrots, a few kale leaves, a bunch of celery and so on. All these things are loaded with nutrients but it would be quite a feat if you had to chew through them. When you juice everything can fit in a glass and get the benefit of all the nutrients.
Other benefits of juicing
Other than losing weight and taking in a lot of nutrients, there are other benefits of juicing. When you juice your fruits and vegetables instead of eating them whole, you save the energy that you would otherwise use for digestive purposes. People who juice also report that they feel that their minds are clearer and they are able to focus better. As you can see, juicing is one of the best things that you can do for your body.
- Chop all your fruits and veggies if you want them to juice faster. Make sure to wash them thoroughly first – you don’t want to get a nasty bug from your juice. L
- Line your pulp container with biodegradable pulp bag so that you shorten the time it takes to clean your juicer.
- If you don’t have a juicer but have a blender there is no reason you shouldn’t be juicing – juicers and blenders work in much the same way.
- Pineapple is a great way to add flavor to your juices but it presents one problem – it has very fine fibers which tend to get caught in the blades. You should always juice it last so that it doesn’t get in the way of the other fruits and veggies you will be juicing.
- You can juice lots and then store it in the fridge – it will keep for a day or two. Once you are done juicing just pour into a flask, add some ice cubes and place the flask in the fridge.
- It is important to rotate the fruits and vegetables that you juice. Juicing the same fruits and veggies could have some side effects, notably a change is skin color. Juicing carrots all the time, for instance, could leave your skin with an orange tint. People who juice a lot of beets all the time report that their urine turns red.
- You should make sure that you drink at least 2 liters of water every day. Hydration is a big part of good health and if you want to enjoy all the benefits of juicing you should drink lots of water.
- Exercise is a part of any good diet so include it in your plan.
As you can see, juicing is an excellent way to lose weight and it has other benefits too.