Is it true that you can lose weight by eating fruits only? We know that fruits are good for us – we have heard it all our lives – but are they possibly the answer to weight loss? The truth is that you can lose weight – technically. Fruit contains fewer calories than most foods and by sticking to a fruit diet you will be consuming fewer calories. In addition to that, fruit contains very little fat. One cup of strawberries, for instance, contains about 0.2 grams of fat compared to 77 calories. Because you are not getting any fat your body will be forced to use its reserves.
Weight gain is basically your body storing away fat that it isn’t using. When you eat, your body burns some calories and the rest are stored in the form of fat should they ever be needed. You need to burn fat in order to produce energy. By depriving your body of fat, you force it to turn to the fat that it has stored. If you do it for long enough, you will find that you have lost weight. Some reports say that doing it for 7 days can help you lose as much as 4 pounds.
So why aren’t more people losing weight by eating only fruits?
The first reason is that fruits contain a lot of sugar, and sugar is not good for you. If your load your body with too much of it you run some health risks including diabetes. The second reason is that you need other food groups if you want to remain healthy. There are many fruit diets out there but they are all considered fad diets. A fad diet is an extreme diet which recommends that you strictly adhere to only some foods and avoid others at all costs. The reason why fad diets fail is because it isn’t possible for the human body to survive that way.
Another reason why a fad fruit diet is never a good idea is the fact that once you come off it you gain the weight right back. When you are on a very strict diet you send your body a signal – there is great scarcity. When you come off the diet the body will want to eat more and more so that it can store for the next period of scarcity.
You need more than just fruit to keep you going. If you want to successfully lose weight the best thing to do is increase your intake of both fruits and vegetables and then eat a healthy diet that consists of all food groups including lean protein and carbohydrates. You should include a lot of fruits and nuts as well. Drink plenty of water to ensure that you are always properly hydrated.
What about juicing?
Juicing fruit is a great idea but you should always mix it with vegetables so that you can reduce on the amount of sugar that you are consuming. Juicing has many benefits:
- You get lots and lots of nutrients that you would otherwise be missing out on. Imagine that you juice some celery, carrots, pineapple, apples, kale and whatever else you like. You will end up with all those nutrients inside your body. It is much harder to eat all these things whole – some of them aren’t that tasty and you may not have the time.
- Juicing is a very convenient way to get nutrition on the go. Most of us miss out on a proper diet because we are so busy – there is simply no time to prepare meals and eat them. Juicing fruits and veggies takes just a few minutes and you can drink up as you go along.
- Juicing is known for its detoxifying benefits. If you juice for even a week you can be sure that you are getting red of all the crap that has accumulated in your cells.
- Juicing is a great way to save the energy that is used during digestion. It is a great way to deliver nutrition to people in poor health.
- When you crush your fruits and vegetables the nutrients are delivered more readily to your system. When you eat them raw, the digestive system has to take time to digest them. Often times they are passed before all the nutrition has been extracted.
Losing weight is about good nutrition and exercise
We have already mentioned that the best way to lose weight by eating fruit is to include vegetables and all the food groups in your diet. In addition to that you should cut out the junk. Most of us don’t give a second thought to grabbing a burger for lunch several times a week. Ordering pizza is just another thing we do all the time. It is all this junk that is making you overweight.
You should try as much as possible to eat meals that are prepared at home – they are less likely to make you fat. You can cook bulk amounts over the weekend and freeze so that during the week it is simply a matter of thawing and warming meals.
Exercise is also essential for good health and weight loss. Try and fit in at least 30 minutes of exercise 3 or 4 times a week and see how it impacts your weight. There are plenty of weight loss exercises online that you can use as a guide.