It is not always that you will be able to spare an hour a week to get your fingernails and toenails done – life can get really busy. This doesn’t mean that you should go around with unseemly looking nails and toes. With just a few tips, you can do a perfect DIY manicure and pedicure at home. In fact, you may find that you do such a good job that you don’t have to visit the salon unless you want to. Here are things that you can do to make your DIY mani-pedi look professional.
- If you are like most adults, you get dry hands from time to time. You want your hands to always look hydrated so stop cleaning them with alcohol based cleansers. Remember to exfoliate your hands when you do your mani-pedi – part of the dryness and roughness is from dead skin. Wash them clean before you go to bed at night and apply a cream, preferably one which contains glycerin. If they are in a very bad way you should wear breathable cotton socks over them just before you get into bed.
- To avoid polish adhering to skin, you should apply a light layer of cuticle oil around the nails. Any polish that ends up on your skin will be a lot easier to remove – just take a cotton pad, it in nail polish remover and swab the area.
- If you had glitter nail polish and are having a hard time removing it (it can take forever sometimes) there is a neat trick that you can use. All you need is remover, tin foil and cotton pads. Dip the pads in the cotton wool and wrap them around your fingernails. Then wrap a little foil around each finger. You see, the reason why you have a hard time removing glitter polish is that the remover evaporates before it can get to the glitter. If you wrap with foil it stays where it is. Wait about 5 minutes and remove both foil and cotton wool swabs and your nails will be perfectly clean.
- If you notice that a half full bottle of your favorite remover is getting thick and lumpy don’t throw it out yet. You cab save with a cheap nail polish thinner. Some people thin their polish using nail polish remover. Don’t do this as it compromises the quality of the polish.
- If you are like most women, you have it when nail polish gets on your skin. There is a very simple solution to it. Take a card and place the tips of your fingers on it. Trace a line and cut out. You can then place the card under your nail as you polish without having to worry about the mess.
- Some people avoid glitter nail polish because it is bumpy. Others are driven completely insane by it and end up peeling it off absent mindedly. You can smooth over bumpy polish easily – just paint it over with 2 coats of clear nail polish.
- How many times have you found yourself opening a bottle of nail polish with your teeth because it is stuck? You don’t have to. You can make it easy to open simply by sticking it in warm water for a few minutes.
- If you make a mistake when putting on the paint and then go at it with cotton wool it will leave lint. You can fix it better using your makeup brush. Simply dip it in your nail polish and then go over your mistakes.
- Your skin has a lot of dead skin. You can remedy this using commonly found products. A good example is Solevation. You just walk around on it as you do your makeup and you will have perfectly soft feet all the time.
- If you have brittle nails, there is probably lacking in your diet, such as iron. You should stop eating junk and instead eat home cooked meals for a while to increase the level of nutrients in your body. There are also great products that you can use to strengthen nails.
- You need to know what style of nails is best for you. If you have to have long ones then it is best to keep them rounded – they are less likely to break. If you like to have them short then you can try a square do – they look better that way. If you like your nails short just round off the ends for a neater look.
- Filing your nails back and forth can cause them to break especially if they are long. Instead, file from the outer edge towards the middle from both sides.
These tips should help make your DIY mani-pedi a success.